News & Newspapers
- The New York Times
- The New York Times Magazine
- The New York Times Book Review
- Gale Newsstand: over 1,100 newspapers
- Gale New York State Newspapers: 38 newspapers from around the state
- GALE General OneFile: A one-stop source for the news you are looking for. Articles updated daily covering business, computers, current events, economics, education, environmental issues, health care, hobbies, humanities, law, literature and art, politics, science, social science, sports, technology & many general interest topics.
- GALE Academic OneFile: News & articles covering the sciences, technology, medicine, the arts, theology, literature & other subjects. Updated daily.
- ProQuest Historical New York Times
- 1851 - 2005, with Index (1851 - 1993)
- Extra Edition: full-text and full-image articles for the New York Times newspaper dating back to the mid-19th century. Every issue of each title includes the complete paperócover-to-coverówith full-page and article images in downloadable PDF. Use this database to find not only news, editorials, letters to the editor, obituaries, and birth and marriage announcements but also historical photos, stock photos, and advertisements.
- Hudson River Valley Heritage Historical Newspapers including:
- Newburgh Telegraph (1831 - 1835)
- Rockland County Journal (1850 - 1879)
- Rockland County Messenger (1848;1851 - 1855;1857)
- Rockland County Times (1902 - 1904)
- The Kingston Daily Freeman (1895;1903 - 1912)
- Vassar Miscellany News (1914 - 2000)
Biography & Literature Resources
- EBSCO Kids Search or Searchasaurus (features an animated dinosaur theme) for K-5 students. Includes more than 50 popular magazines, Encyclopedia of Animals & American Heritage Children's Dictionary
- Grolier Online includes:
- Encyclopedia Americana: In depth information for older students & adults
- Multimedia Encyclopedia: Includes encyclopedia articles, news, timelines, quizzes and games, and research starters. It also includes an atlas and dictionary.
- New Book of Knowledge: For middle grade students and includes literary selections, a timeline, projects and experiments, news, homework help and more.
- Amazing Animals of the World: For elementary school students and includes facts and photos for over 1,200 animals.
- America the Beautiful: For elementary and middle school students and includes articles on US cities, states and Presidents.
- Lands and Peoples: For middle and high school students and includes articles on countries, cultures and current events. It also includes an atlas and almanacs.
- The New Book of Popular Science: For middle and high school students and includes articles in the areas of science, technology and medicine.
- La Nueva Enciclopedia Cumbre: A Spanish language encyclopedia written from a Latin American perspective.
- Roget's II: The New Thesaurus
- American Heritage Children's Thesaurus
- American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
- American Heritage Student Dictionary
- American Heritage Children's Dictionary
- American Heritage English to Spanish Dictionary
- American Heritage Spanish to English Dictionary
- Additional Encyclopedias
* What does "free" mean? Free to patrons of Greene County, NY libraries. These resources have information you cannot access through a typical Internet search, in fact they available only to patrons of libraries where access has been purchased for them. These unique resources are provided by your library with state and local funds, and give you access to reliable online information. Funds to purchase these resources came to libraries through the following sources:
- Contact your local library with questions or comments, and to locate additional library materials not included in these databases.
- If you are having difficulties: Sometimes there are conflicts with firewall software on home computers, and the following settings may take care of the problem:
- the option to accept cookies, including third party cookies, needs to be enabled
- you may need to include the URL you are trying to access inyour "accepted" list
- the option to allow the use of port 2048 to be checked ON
- Funded through Greene County Government.
- Funded through the New York State Library, the NOVELny project connects New Yorkers to 21st century information. NOVELny is supported with temporary federal Library Services and Technology Act funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).
- Funded through Mid-Hudson Library System / Central Library Development Aid.
- Made available through the Southeastern New York Library Resources Council which is funded by New York State.